Thursday, November 11, 2010

The day I took Twitter to the ER

Last Sunday I had a very eventful day. I woke up with a horrible back pain, and ended up in the ER until 3am. Normally this would be a horrible experience, but I had someone to keep me company: Twitter.

The day started with a look back at a #wineparty the night before, and ended up with many people keeping me company and making me feel better throughout the day and night. Seriously, I couldn't ask for better friends.

I hope you enjoy some of my fave tweets from that day. The tweets in black are mine and blue are my friends.

zelmarl: Help! I need @carolinamom24 or anyone else who can help. Woke up w/ a lower back spasm & I'm passing out from the pain. Hubs even says it looks swollen. Can I treat it w/ OTC? Would hate to go to the hospital on a Sunday! :((

  • carolinamom24: @zelmarl Oh no Zelma! Does it radiate down your leg?

  • zelmarl: @carolinamom24 No, just the back waistline. Hubs says it's swollen. He found 2 old Fioricets that hadn't expired & said that migraines are pretty much swelling but don't know if they will work.

  • zelmarl: @carolinamom24 BTW did I mention I can either sit still or move AT ALL? Getting nauseous from the pain, and I can handle pain pretty well!


zelmarl: How are my drinking buddies from last night? I woke up w/ no hangover but w/ back spasm. #fail @ahbashbah @rachspan @Babe_Chilla @g_bugg

  • ahbashbah: @zelmarl Ouch! Hope you feel better. @rachspan has been helping me w memory loss this morning, but feeling chipper! @Babe_Chilla @g_bugg

  • zelmarl: @ahbashbah Ya my back is killing me! Did @rachspan tell u that we tried to harrass @phxguy88 but he didn't bite? @Babe_Chilla @g_bugg

  • ahbashbah: @zelmarl Nope. Apparently any memory of @phxguy88 has been wiped. @rachspan @Babe_Chilla @g_bugg

  • phxguy88: @zelmarl @ahbashbah @rachspan @Babe_Chilla @g_bugg What? I was there for a bit. Was too worn out by kid bday party to be fun tho.

  • zelmarl: @phxguy88 @ahbashbah @rachspan @Babe_Chilla @g_bugg Thanks! I know you tried, but were overwhelmed by the Barbie attack! Lol

  • rachspan: @phxguy88 @zelmarl @ahbashbah @Babe_Chilla @g_bugg we all know you were just too busy playing Barbies to hang out w/ us. Its ok.

  • ahbashbah: @rachspan Ooh...Barbies. Now THAT I remember. Don't let that bug you, @phxguy88, Rach has barbie envy. @zelmarl @Babe_Chilla @g_bugg

  • rachspan: This might or might not be true. RT @ahbashbah Don't let that bug you, @phxguy88, Rach has barbie envy. @zelmarl @Babe_Chilla @g_bugg

  • zelmarl: @rachspan I'm going with "might", ha! @ahbashbah @phxguy88 @Babe_Chilla @g_bugg


zelmarl: Anytime! RT @ahbashbah: Thank you Twitter, for making my life seem normal.

  • ahbashbah: @zelmarl Funny, isn't it, how I don't give a shit what anyone on here thinks, and yet, I like you all better than the FB peeps!

  • zelmarl: @ahbashbah As long as Twitter was involved & not FB, you're good! We can console each other :)


zelmarl: Ha! RT @bitofmomsense: Rofl RT @traylove19: Lmfao RT @poopette I put my phone in airplane mode. Worst. Transformer. Ever.

zelmarl: Ha! RT @vintageeye good morn! its either really 7:15 or 9:15 even tho clock says 8:15...this time space continuum stuff really confuses me

zelmarl: THIS is why I love Twitter! RT @ahbashbah: @rachspan I'm pretty fucking thankful I still have half a bottle of vodka left. Wonder if god's responsible for that?

zelmarl: Fuck. Hubs took lil man to church & now I'm hungry & can't move! So you chose NOW to be the responsible parent?

zelmarl: OK, let's see if I can get myself off of this recliner w/o passing out from the pain. Must. Eat. Something.

zelmarl: Fuck. I forgot I live in a 2-story house. Fuck fuck fuck!

zelmarl: Ha! RT @Babe_Chilla The day after a time change is like living in some alternate universe where my kitchen is a 1hr walk from my family room

zelmarl: I'm in pain from my back spasm & yet laughing at all the tweets this morning & cringing every time I do. There's something wrong w/ this pic

  • mommafo: @zelmarl what's wrong?!?

  • zelmarl: @mommafo Have a back spasm. Fioricet & ben gay. Parked in my recliner & hubs left to church w/ lil man. #toomuchpain

  • mommafo: @zelmarl wow. Poor thing! Hope it feels better soon.


zelmarl: Seriously? 1st I had to get up to eat & now I have to pee? Come on! The meds haven't kicked in yet. #toomuchpain

zelmarl: I feel the same way about English :) RT @rachspan: my kids are watching movies in spanish. that's probably good for their brains, right?

zelmarl: So when I went down to get food, I forgot to bring water. Now I'm thirsty. Being inmobilized w/ no one around sucks. #fail

zelmarl: OK tweeps, Fioricet is finally starting to kick in. Not on the pain but on the staying awake part. Tweet ya later! Zelma out.

zelmarl: Slept a whopping 15 mins before lil man came over to wake me up. #napfail

zelmarl: After wasting the entire day stuck in my recliner in pain, I've decided to waste the rest of the night in the ER. Wish me luck! #godhelpme

  • VanillaBeanBake: @zelmarl Hope the ER can help you and quickly.

  • zelmarl: @VanillaBeanBake Thanks!


zelmarl: At the ER, wish me luck! (@ HIMA San Pablo)

  • Mom4Less: @zelmarl OMG are you ok?

  • zelmarl: @Mom4Less Not really. My back pain hasn't gotten any better all day & instead of not sleeping at home I decided to not sleep at the ER :)

  • Mom4Less: @zelmarl I hope they give you some good drugs!

  • zelmarl: @Mom4Less That's what I'm hoping for! *keeping fingers crossed* :)


zelmarl: At the ER. Let the countdown begin. Thanks 2 @rachspan @ahbashbah @Babe_Chilla @g_bugg @phxguy88 4 supporting & distracting me from the pain

  • ahbashbah: @zelmarl Oh my...hope they get you fixed up! Do you know how you hurt it? @rachspan @g_bugg @phxguy88 @babe_chilla

  • zelmarl: @ahbashbah I think I was sitting funny last night but it got worse overnight. @rachspan @g_bugg @phxguy88 @babe_chilla

  • g_bugg: @zelmarl how are you feeling now :( @ahbashbah @rachspan @phxguy88 @babe_chilla

  • zelmarl: @g_bugg Still the same. They haven't called me yet except to ask for my insurance papers. @ahbashbah @rachspan @phxguy88 @babe_chilla

  • Babe_Chilla: @zelmarl @ahbashbah @rachspan @phxguy88 @g_bugg did you hurt it laughing at us?

  • zelmarl: @Babe_Chilla @ahbashbah @rachspan @phxguy88 @g_bugg Quite possibly. If that's the case, it was totally worth it!

  • rachspan: @zelmarl I hope they fix it! Or at least give you some rad drugs! @Babe_Chilla @ahbashbah @phxguy88 @g_bugg

  • zelmarl: @rachspan That's what I'm hoping for! @Babe_Chilla @ahbashbah @phxguy88 @g_bugg


zelmarl: Going on 2hrs at the ER & they still haven't called me. Also, just realized that I haven't eaten anything since this morning. Smart move..

  • MomNom: @zelmarl wait? What? Why are you at the ER?

  • zelmarl: @MomNom My lower back has been killing me all day. Spent the entire day laying still in my recliner but couldn't take it anymore!

  • mommafo: @zelmarl Is your back still hurting?! :( :( :(

  • zelmarl: @mommafo Ya! Trying to not think about it reading tweets!


zelmarl: Funny how quickly they asked me 4 my insurance papers, then forgot about me in the waiting room. My goal is 2 see the doctor before sunrise.

  • mommafo: @zelmarl Sucky sucky. You're not dying so they're going to put you at the bottom of their list. BOO! Hopefully you get a bed soon!

  • zelmarl: @mommafo Right! Worse part? I can handle pain pretty well so you can't see it in my face. Bet if I start screaming they'd let me in :)


zelmarl: Can someone please bring me some food? Why the HELL didn't I eat something before coming here?

  • VanillaBeanBake: @zelmarl Still in the ER? How long before someone can take a look at you?

  • carolinamom24: @zelmarl did u see the doctor??

  • Mom4Less: @zelmarl How are you feeling?

  • zelmarl: @carolinamom24 @VanillaBeanBake @Mom4Less Not yet. Worse part? I can handle pain pretty well so you can't see it in my face. Bet if I start screaming they'd let me in :)

  • Mom4Less: @zelmarl As long as you've been there, I'm surprised you're not screaming out of frustration!

  • zelmarl: @Mom4Less Nah, don't want to be *that* person.

  • Mom4Less: @zelmarl LOL I know what you mean. But sometimes it's tempting...

  • zelmarl: @Mom4Less Oh, believe me, it is! :)


zelmarl: You guys have no idea how humbled I am that so many ppl care about me. Keep those tweets coming! I need 2 b entertained. Love you all!

zelmarl: I brought my charger & am now tied to the wall in the waiting room. If I had only remembered food... RT @rachspan: Dammit! Battery is dying.

Marialexandra: @zelmarl been off Twitter all day, what happened? Are you ok?!

  • zelmarl: @Marialexandra Not really. My lower back has been killing me all day & couldn't take it any more so am spending my Sun night at the ER. Fun!

  • Marialexandra: @zelmarl oh my...that sucks! Have you been seen by a Dr yet?

  • zelmarl: @Marialexandra Nope! Been sitting at the waiting room for 3+hrs & still nothing! Keeping myself entertained w/ Twitter :)

  • Marialexandra: @zelmarl  oh no!!! Well, we'll all keep you company! 

  • zelmarl: @Marialexandra Thanks!


zelmarl: Success! After almost 4hrs the doc finally saw me. Prolly muscle spasm. Need to see a physical therapist. But gettin some rad drugs!

  • rachspan: @zelmarl I'm glad you're getting something to make it feel better!


zelmarl: Asshole doctor said I was the next one for the shots so I didn't go 2 get food. Now they've called about 10ppl. #hungry

zelmarl: OMG a fully armed & vested cop & army-dressed guy w/ a big-ass rifle just entered the ER! Almost crapped my pants. Am I living in Cuba?

  • rachspan: @zelmarl Yikes! Is there someone in the ER that is psychotic or something?

  • zelmarl: @rachspan I have no idea but am afraid to find out!

  • Marialexandra: @zelmarl what were they doing there? Sounds like you're being entertained quite a bit in that ER

  • zelmarl: @Marialexandra I have no idea, but am afraid to find out! It's definitely entertaining, in an action-thriller, scary-movie way!

  • Marialexandra: @zelmarl Hope you get out of there soon! Go get something to eat specially

  • zelmarl: @Marialexandra I know, I'm freaking starving!


mommafo: @zelmarl how's the er doing?

  • zelmarl: @mommafo Check out my last 3 tweets. I went from happy to angry to crapping my pants... In less than 20mins! I think that's a record.

  • mommafo: @zelmarl I saw your brush with SWAT! lol! What's the shot thing? Getting injected?

  • zelmarl: @mommafo Oh ya! Getting some rad drugs. Better be soon cause I just got scared straight!

  • mommafo: @zelmarl good. I'm off to bed, hope you get there asap. :) night

  • zelmarl: @mommafo Night! Thanks for keeping me company!


zelmarl: Bahaha! Thx 4 that! RT @Mom4Less: @zelmarl You still alive? The big men with guns haven't taken you away, have they?

zelmarl: Success again! Just received 2 effing painful shots in the ass! Now to wait for them to kick in. Cue the 70s psychedelic music.

  • zelmarl: Groovy! RT @Mom4Less: @zelmarl You need a lava lamp!

  • carolinamom24: @zelmarl shots of what? Vodka?? Lmao

  • zelmarl: @carolinamom24 Ha! I wish! Norflex & Toradol.. Both right in the ass! Also got Rx

  • carolinamom24: @zelmarl what did they say it was???

  • zelmarl: @carolinamom24 They couldn't actually examine me cause there was no physical therapist on shift. But the doc thinks it's muscular.

  • zelmarl: @carolinamom24 Gave me the shots & Rx & have to go see my physical therapist tomorrow. Meh. At least I got the drugs! Still in pain tho.

  • carolinamom24: @zelmarl awwww! I'm sorry!! Hope it gets to feeling better soon!

  • zelmarl: @carolinamom24 Thanks! And thanks for putting up w/ me all day & all night! Really appreciate it.


zelmarl: Finally home! The final count was: 6hrs! Got 2 shots in the ass & Rx. The best part? Sharing it all w/ y'all! You guys are the best, thanks!

2 comments:

  1. I spent 8 hours wtg. in emerg. with my daughter when she had a back spasm 3 mos. into her 2nd pregnancy. Tears were flowing and unfortunately the time was not. Glad you have lots of twitter company and hoping that you did finally manage to get something to eat.

    Hope your back is *back* to normal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I finally ate at home at 3am. And yes, I was very fortunate to have so many people entertaining me, since I was all alone - hubs had stayed home with lil man.

    I'm so sorry about your daughter. I can't imagine having this much pain while pregnant... ouch!

    ReplyDelete