Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Power of One: The Beginning

Those of you who know me, or simply have seen my pics or read my blog, know one thing: I'm fat. I've always been overweight, but when lil man was born in 2006, I gained 40 lbs and only lost 20. I had been told that breastfeeding would help shred those last lbs.... BAHAHA!! Ya right, I lost all of ZERO pounds!

Since then, I've battled a miscarriage, depression, hypothyroidism, and more importantly, laziness. For more on my battles, read here. In the past 4 years, I have tried to start many things, but have not been able to follow through. So I'm basically at the same place I was then. Ugh.

Last week, I decided to write my first New Year's resolutions, EVER! Read here. I know, pathetic, right? But if I had never made them before, and I'm still in the same place, then I thought I might as well give in and make some. Well, as most women do, most of my resolutions had to do with my health and weight. But I didn't know where to start!

Power of One ChallengeEnter Monica. I saw a tweet from her mentioning the Sisterhood of Shrinking Jeans, and I thought: this is hilarious! I browsed their website, and it looked like a lot of fun, so I decided to join them. I'm still not familiar with all the ins and outs of the Sisterhood, but they have "challenges" that span several weeks, weekly weigh-ins and projects, and tons of tips and support.

So this is it.

I weighed myself today. 195.4. WHAT?!?!? I almost didn't post my weight, I was so embarrassed. I also took a "before" picture of myself. Ya right, like I'm going to post that! That's for my personal use only, and will NEVER show it to anyone. How did I let myself get here? That is such a loaded question, that I decided not to answer it, and simply move on.

And I'm moving on.

So today, even though it's the end of week 1 of the challenge, it's actually day 1 for me. I don't care. I will simply try to keep up and do my best.

Here's the checklist that I will be updating weekly:

Last week's weight: n/a

This week's weight: 195.4 (holy crap, did I just type that AGAIN?!?)

Total weight to lose: 65.4 (Yikes!)

Total weight lost: 0 lbs

First Goal: 10 lbs

Accomplishments from last week: None. Unless you count writing this post as an achievement. In that case, yay me!

Setbacks: I already ate one of the chocolate-covered marshmallow lollipops that I had made for lil man. Major fail!

Goals for this week:

  • Drink more water and less diet coke

  • Eat more protein & veggies and less sugar

  • Start Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. Do at least 4-5 days this week. On off days, I can do yoga from another DVD or my Wii Fit.


And there you have it. I got the idea for this checklist from Tiffany's weight-loss posts. I like checklists. They're simple and easy to read.

OK, I'll shut up now. Gotta stop writing about it and actually get started on my journey. Do you have any tips and/or suggestions for me? Words of wisdom? Constructive criticism? Sound off below!

And wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Carlos G Lopez. Carlos G Lopez said: “@zelmarl: New blog post: The Power of One: The Beginning http://goo.gl/fb/0BDWV #weightloss #diet #exercise #fitness” yes you can do it! [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it!

    directory and more, where you can also meet more mom bloggers like you and get connected with them by visiting your profile after registration.

    You can also add there your giveaways and business links; get featured by sharing your crafts, recipes and interesting musings.

    Following us back is deeply appreciated. Thanks and have a great day!

    http://olahmomma.com -- blogging and connecting blogging moms.
    {all moms welcome}

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] has been one week since I posted about my new journey to weight loss and exercise. I was super psyched and made plans and [...]

    ReplyDelete