Monday, January 10, 2011

50 Posts: 50 Things You Didn't Know About Me

I can't believe I already have 50 posts, yay!

I'm so excited to share this with you. I've seen this type of post on the 100th post, but I am so unbelievably lazy and impatient that decided to post at 50. So grab your coffee, get comfy, and start reading:
*** Disclosure: These are all my personal and private opinions. If you disagree with something and feel like judging me, I suggest you stop reading and close this page immediately. I mean, seriously, isn't it better for your peace of mind if you DON'T read stuff you don't agree with?

1. I sang for President Reagan and Nancy when I was 10 years old.

2. Not counting Puerto Rico, I have traveled to a whopping 81 cities worldwide, 39 or 48% between the ages of 6 and 18.

3. My first singing solo was at 3 years old in church. My mom has a picture of me standing in a chair at the altar... Cute!

4. I'm a weird latina - my fave music genres are classical, pop, rock, and country (I know, right?)

5. On a related note, I'm a weird Puertorrican - I despise Raeggueton music (yuck!)

6. I'm a Scorpio in every sense of the word. Seriously, if you look up the personality traits of a Scorpio - the good, the bad, and the ugly - you will know me a lot better! I highly doubt you will want to know me after that, though.

7. When I was in high school, I dated the captain of the Basketball team. It was like a John Hughes movie. Good times.

8. I have never watched a Twilight movie. And don't plan to.

9. I watch The Disney Channel when I'm alone. Especially when I'm baking. It's the only channel where the commercials don't annoy me.

10. I could probably live on chocolate alone. I'd probably die, but I'd die happy.

11. My biggest pet peeve is bad drivers. Not a good thing when you live in Puerto Rico.

12. I'm obsessed with correct grammar and orthography when writing. I even proofread my tweets, so if there's an error, chances are it was on purpose.

13. I wish I could go to Walt Disney World 10 times a year. That, or move to Orlando, FL.

14. Oh, did I mention? Yes, I'm a former Cast Member. I worked at the Puerto Rico Disney Store from 1992-93 but learned so much that I wish I still worked there.

15. I live in a 100x35-mile caribbean island, and yet I only go to the beach about once a year. I'm not proud of that.

16. Once I was watching a football game and called Peyton Manning a "cutie patootie". Now everytime he appears on TV, hubs mentions that he's a cutie patootie. I think he's jealous.

17. I don't care for celebrities, and yet my guilty pleasure show is E! News.

18. I don't read newspapers or watch the local news. I find them depressing.

19. I hate politics. It turns normal people into assholes.

20. I was raised as a Roman Catholic, but I like learning about all religions in different countries. I find the different faiths and the history and culture behind them fascinating.

21. That being said, I hate fanatics. I actually like the fact that everyone believes in different things, depending on where they're from and their culture. People who don't accept those differences piss me off.

22. In the great cell phone debate, I'm a BlackBerry girl. I acknowledge the awesomeness and variety of apps and games of the iPhone, but I cannot handle a touch-screen keyboard.

23. I am writing this post using WordPress for BlackBerry :)

24. I am an extreme perfectionist. I expect only the best from me and everyone around me. I have a very low tolerance for mediocre people. OK, I hate them.

25. I do not have an addictive personality. I have dabbled in cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, and coffee, and yet have never felt that "need" that I've heard so much about.

26. I may just be the weirdest woman ever, but I don't have a shopping personality either. I only buy clothes and shoes if I need them, and only if they go with what I already have.

27. I don't like to change bags according to my outfit and/or occassion, like most women do. I wear the same bag every single day until I get tired of it, and then change it.

28. I do have one obsession: office supplies. I love journals and notebooks and pens. Every time I go to the drug store or convenience store, I have to check out the school & office supply section.

29. I don't like to talk about my immediate family (parents and siblings). Possibly because I had a non-conventional family dynamic, and am just now realizing that as an adult. My shrink and I are working on this.

30. I will say this: my parents divorced 4 years ago after 35 years of marriage. What they became after that made me change my opinion of them forever. I blame my dad.

31. 15 years ago I was in a sorority and partied 7 days a week. While studying and working part-time. Now I don't even remember the last time I went out partying. Unless Chuck E Cheese's counts as partying.

32. I play 4 musical instruments: piano, acoustic guitar, accordion, and recorder flute. Actually, of the 5 kinds of recorders that exist, I can play 3. So that's, what, 6 instruments?

33. When I was little, I took ballet, gymnastics, tennis, and swimming lessons. I'm fairly good at swimming, but other than that, I'm the worst athlete ever.

34. I am NOT politically correct. I like to speak my mind and usually forget about who will read/listen to what I'm saying. I have gotten into so much trouble in my career, that I now get other people to proofread my emails and memos before sending, to make sure I'm not insulting anyone. Have I mentioned that I hate Corporate America?

35. Writing 50 random things about me is hard, yo! Hubs is telling me stuff to write and I keep shutting him down.

36. I love love LOVE Christmas! From the decorations, to the music, to the way people get temporarily nice during the season. Hubs told me last week that my blog should have been called "Everyday Christmas". Why didn't you tell me this sooner!

37. I spent my Junior year of college as an Exchange Student in Trenton, NJ. Not the most glamorous city, but it was the closest one to New York City that was available. I spent MANY weekends in NY, and traveled extensively along the east coast, from Washington DC to Toronto.

38. Maybe I should have mentioned that New York City is my fave city in the US. I would move there in a heartbeat. Well, it's a tie between NY and Orlando. See #13.

39. I have sung in 5 choirs so far, almost consecutively since I was 6 years old.

40. I am NOT an affectionate person - hubs knows I don't do PDA - yet I can't stop myself from hugging and kissing lil man. All. The. Time. I may have a problem.

41. I love my little island. I love the fact that it's a mixture of Spanish, African, and American cultures. I love its history. I also love the convenience of being an American citizen, but hate the fact that politics and our political status is pretty much the national pasttime. See #19.

42. I like gays and lesbians. It may go against the Bible, but the Bible also says that everyone deserves love, and in my mind, love is love, no matter where you find it. Sure, it may have its complications when it comes to expanding the family (for logistics reasons, ha!), but then again, hubs won't go with me to get facials. We all have our pros and cons. :)

43. I have appeared in almost 10 operas and zarzuelas (Spanish version of an opera), both as a kid and as an adult, all of them as part of the choir, or "extras". I love dressing up in period costumes, and I love that I get to act and dance as well as sing.

44. My 3 favorite movies of all time are When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle, and You've Got Mail. Let's just say I like Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks. Also? Hubs just pointed out that they all have to do with New York. Coincidence? I think not.

45. My 3 favorite TV series are Friends, Seinfeld, and Sex and the City. Guess where they're located? Ha! I swear I didn't do that on purpose.

46. I'm legally blind. I have a degenerative disease of my corneas called Keratoconus. I had sugery in 2003 but it was just to make it more manageable, not to cure it. I wear special contact lenses, and I can't wear glasses. Most people don't notice because I can see fine with my contacts. Not perfect, but fine.

47. The one place that I would like to visit before I die is Australia. more specifically, the Sydney Opera House.

48. I started dating hubs right after we met, but in the first 4 months we broke up twice. After that, it was all good.

49. I'm the complete opposite of romantic. However, I knew that I was going to spend the rest of my life with hubs about a month and a half after we met, WHILE we were broken up. When I told my Mom, I think she dropped a plate.

50. Hubs proposed while I was looking to buy an apartment for myself. When we left, he said "why don't we buy it together?" Me: "are you crazy? I'm not moving in with you unless we're married!" Hubs: "umm, that's pretty much what I'm implying here." I was driving and almost hit someone. I felt like an ass.

22 comments:

  1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Zelma and Zelma. Zelma said: It's live! Check it out: 50 Posts: 50 Things You Didn’t Know About Me http://goo.gl/fb/ZKlGT [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your post. I'm a new follower from a monday blog hop. Would love a follow back. A few of your top 50 that sound just like me... you had me at grab a cup of coffee... love office supplies.love my blackberry, but i stillkeep a master calendar that i can use my markers, highlighters for non work related events!

    laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow woman! We are so much alike it is freaking me out! It would take too much time to detail all the ways we are similar. I think I'll just list how we are different. Hmmm. Let's see...

    I'm not Latino. I don't watch TV. I never broke up with my husband at any point during our relationship (although I was going to if he didn't get off his a** and propose!). I'm Presbyterian. My favorite city is Chicago (which is a lot like NYC).

    That's about it, I think. ;)

    Love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. !Hola Zelma!
    Loved reading your "50 Things You Didn’t Know About Me" and I wanted to share what we have in common as well as a few things that made my laugh of was impressed with.
    5. Hate reggaeton too.
    7. I dated the Student Council President who was a great athlete too.
    10. Specially on those days…
    11. I hate them too.
    12. Since part of my job is to write I’m obsessed by correct grammar specially in Spanish.
    13. I go at least two times a year since more than 20 years ago. In fact, I’m going in 3 days, wohoo!!!
    15. The same here and yet I go on a cruise or to the Caribbean and HAVE to go to the beach, hellooo!!!
    24. !Halleluiah! You sure you’re ot Virgo?
    26. I hate shopping too.
    46. OMG!
    47. One of my top choices along with Japan.
    50. hahahhaha….

    Big hugs to you, Carlos and Little Man too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am impressed that you keep up your blogging since you use your BB. I gave up on mine after 4 post. It's a bummer when something doesn't save when you're working on a PC but when it's been typed on a qwerty pad?? That's reason for a margarita and a long sobbing cry.

    I'm impressed with your singing accomplishments as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks! As a matter of fact, we're snowed in (or actually ICED in) so we'll be watching movies tonight, might be a marathon! Haven't seen You've got mail in a while!
    Bernice

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you EVEN MORE after reading this! <3 You rock, girl. We have SO many things in common!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! This is one awesome list - and apparently your talent was music that God gave you, not athletics. LOL. I totally agree on Peyton Manning, in fact I lived in Indianapolis his rookie season and went to three games. ;) I also am so not the romantic, that would be the hubs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting this. You are such an interesting lady and I love your honesty! We are alike/similar on #8, #27, #24 (but I'm not an extreme one where I hate mediocre people, some just can't help themselves) #28, #30, #36, #42 (although I don't like to categorize people and don't care what their sexual preference is. A person's sexual preference has no bearing on my liking/disliking them)and #47.

    It's interesting to me that you say you are opposite of romantic yet your favourite movies are just that. You are definitely a dichotomy!

    Sorry your parents split after 35 years of marriage. I think it is harder on adult children when this happens.

    Now you know a little bit about me by my comment! I'm a Cancer :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm the same way. My entire life is in my BlackBerry, but I still have my Mom's Plan it and a notebook in my bag, both with their own pens. Drives hubs crazy. :)

    Thanks for visiting. I will make sure to visit your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chicago is a LOT like NY!! I've only been once, but loved it. Would love to go again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you go to Disney twice a year? I'm jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks! I don't actually do ALL my blogging in my BlackBerry, but it comes in handy when I'm on the go and need to jot down my thoughts. But there's always a reason for a margarita! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yikes! There are a lot of people snowed in lately. Enjoy your marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha! I'll see if I can come up with another 50 for my 100th. It's not easy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks! Love you too, coffee sista. ::kisses::

    ReplyDelete
  17. I went to a game once at Indy, he's sooo cute! I think hubs was just thrown off by the term I gave him. But isn't he just a cutie patootie? :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with you that I don't see people as being gay or straight. Being in the music industry, I have MANY gay friends, but I treat them the same as my other friends. To me they're just people. The comment was meant for those who do separate them.

    I noticed that about my movie preferences. I had actually never thought of it before. I guess I am a romantic, but just have problems expressing it. I'm uncomfortable with PDA.

    If you're a Cancer, we could definitely get along. Hubs is a Cancer too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love learning about you! Sandra! DisneyTravelMum

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it! I think I will steal the idea. :) I am so with you on the not a shopper thing. Shopping is a chore. Honestly, I hate it. I'm the let's get in here & get what we need & get out. And I too carriy the same bag forever. And shame on you! You MUST get to the beach more often. I am speaking from landlocked Oklahoma here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh believe me, if you steal it, it won't be from me! I've seen it several times before, so I'm stealing it from multiple people, LOL!

    And yes, I should get to the beach more often. The closest one is about 20 minutes away, and the farthest one is about 2 1/2 hours away, so I have NO excuses! Also? If you ever come down to scuba, I'm so in!! I'll take classes, I want to learn!

    ReplyDelete