Monday, January 3, 2011

My first New Year's Resolutions... EVER!

I don't believe in New Year's resolutions. I think if you're waiting until January 1st to change something about yourself, or start doing something, you're doomed from the start. I believe in planning your life and changes as they come, and no matter what day the calendar says it is, TODAY is a good day for a change.

On the other hand, I have started so many things, and then not followed through, that I thought maybe I should take a different approach. So, alas, this year, I'm giving in and actually making New Year's resolutions. I don't want to make any huge plans that I might break next week, but these are still mighty big for me.

This is my "to do" list for this year:

  1. Eat better. No, I'm not using the "d" word, because it's a foul word in my language. I'm talking about the little changes that last, like eat more protein and veggies and less sugar, and drink more water and less diet coke. I think if I do at least these changes, I'm sure my health will improve significantly in the long run, and with that - hopefully - my weight.

  2. Exercise. Again, I'm not talking about joining a gym or hiring a personal trainer. But I do want to exercise at least 5 days a week. I have Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred DVD, and my first goal will be to finish it off. For those days that I'm not working out, I would like to at least do yoga, whether from another DVD that I have, or my Wii Fit.

  3. Cook more. This is closely related to number 1 above, but it goes beyond my eating habits. I'm talking about getting more organized when it comes to cooking, creating a weekly meal plan for hubs, lil man and I, and actually cooking more meals for us. Also? I want to eat as a family more often. I don't mean TV trays in front of the TV, or the kitchen table, but actually using the dining room table. I don't think lil man knows that the dining room table is supposed to be for eating, since all he sees there is my laptop.

  4. Get more facials. I hate the fact that I have extremely sensitive skin, and I don't take care of it correctly. I can't do creams, because at 37, I STILL get breakouts, but my skin is also extremely dehydrated, and tends to get rashes frequently. What I CAN do is get regular facials. I would like to get monthly facials, but to be realistic (and budget-conscious), I could settle for at least every two months.

  5. Improve IRL friend relationships. As I have stated before, I don't have many IRL (in-real-life) friends. The ones I do still have, I often neglect because I'm too involved in my own stuff and with hubs and lil man. But I would like to see them more often, or at least talk to them on the phone regularly. I need to work on this.

  6. Launch Mom2Mom group. I have been trying to form a Mom-to-Mom group since last year but have had little success. Some moms have shown interest, but no one wants to take the initiative, so I guess it's up to me. I really want to have a group where we can meet regularly and talk about mom stuff, or simply to escape our kids for a while.

  7. Publish more Tackle-it-Tuesdays. I love this series, which I think was started by 5 Minutes for Mom. Every Tuesday you post something that you did around the house, whether it's big or small. What I'm really saying here is, I would like to do more stuff around the house, and having to publish a weekly post will force me to do it.

  8. Get pregnant. Yes, this is a big one. Yes, I'm talking about an actual pregnancy with an actual child. You see, my original plan was to have at least 2 kids, and have them close together, so they could play together, and have more stuff in common. Well, lil man was born in 2006, in 2008 I had a miscarriage, and nothing since then. Sure, I had some health problems after my miscarriage, but I think they're under control now, and if I stick to my resolutions 1 and 2 above, I MIGHT have a better chance. Also? I'm already 37 years old, and if I don't get pregnant soon, my biological clock will start to lose its tick. In other words, it better happen this year, damn it!


Well, there you have it. I'm beyond scared that I won't keep them, and come February 1st, I will look like an ass for breaking at least half of them. But you will keep me grounded and check up on me, right? You will call me out and make sure I stick to them, right? RIGHT?

Here's to a great 2011!!

Do you have a New Year's Resolutions post? Link up here for others to see!


4 comments:

  1. Wow! So many of your goals could be mine... and actually are. (But definitely NOT the last. No more babies around here.)

    I'm always on a quest to continue to eat better and exercise more. I'm in a much better place with that this year than last, but I want to improve even more.

    And thank you for suggesting more facials. I have exactly the same skin, but feel guilty whenever I get a facial. You're right though, we need them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We definitely need to take care of our skin, and I'm not doing that now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow great goals!! all of them could be my goals too, except the last goal. (i just had a baby 3 months ago)

    this year i'm really focusing on organizing my house!! its time to get it uncontrol and make it a place that i love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] week, I decided to write my first New Year’s resolutions, EVER! Read here. I know, pathetic, right? But if I had never made them before, and I’m still in the same [...]

    ReplyDelete